Tuesday 20 August 2013

Never again: Pixi Glow Tonic


I've needed to get this off my chest for a few weeks now: Caroline Hirons, I love you, but this stuff is never coming near my face again!
Why I did it to myself I don't know; I had several perfectly functioning acidic exfoliants that worked really well, but the grass is always greener, isn't it?!
One tweet that the glow tonic was back in stock and I had a bottle on it's way to me within 5 minutes. Is it just me or is there something about a product being stock limited that does crazy things to your brain?




I had such high hopes for this stuff.  In theory it should have worked wonders for my skin; glycolic acid to clean out the pores, and witch hazel, ginseng and aloe vera to tone, smooth and stimulate the skin.
Sadly, the glycolic acid seems to have reacted with my skin in a way salycilic acid or BHA doesn't and after 5 day's use I ended up with very angry, red skin.  I developed spots the like of which i've never seen; nasty cystic acne-type under the skin mounds, and I even ended up with a little pimple just inside my nose. Attractive.

I didn't care for the smell either.  My fiance decribed it as smelling  like 'old pensioner' and I think that's fairly accurate. The packging is actually lovely though, I really like the simple bottle with squared sides, and it has a pump which means you don't waste any product.

This wouldn't put me off trying Pixi products in the future and I'll definitely be popping into the store next time i'm in London, probably in September as their make up line looks beautiful and I'd like to try their face masks too.  Just not this.  Ever again.

Pixi Glow Tonic is available only by mail order or in their London store (not on their website) I paid £16.50, plus postage. 

I've now gone back, with my tail between my legs, to my old faithfuls: Paula's Choice BHA and Clinique Extra Mild Clarifying Toner, which do a wonderful job of clearing out my pores, and the horrible spots on my face have gone, thank goodness!


Suzy
xx

1 comment:

  1. Such a shame as I don't have any reaction to this but I think that's what so important about skincare, what works for one won't work for another - even the cult products!

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete